Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Don't count your chickens...also known as, "Chea's 100 bowl challenge".

Since my last lesson with Chea I've been struggling with my throwing. What came as instinct in the beginning became a frustrating exercise in over-thinking. On top of this Chea assigned me the challenge of throwing 100 bowls before I can take another lesson. And...they don't count towards the 100 bowls unless the survive bisque firing. I went through 55 lbs of clay before I made a single passable bowl. Then out of the first bakers dozen of usable bowls I only had one bowl survive. My problems with "S" cracks had returned! So...here we are...these are 21 new bowls I just trimmed and stamped with my new chop! ("chop" post to follow) Hopefully by compressing the foot with the chop and a few other tricks I'll be able to solve the "S" crack problems. I keep thinking about a conversation I had recently with Richard Aerni. He said, "...when it comes to ceramics, you can never count your chickens...". How right he was...is...99 bowls yet to throw on the wheel...99 bowls yet to throw!
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.5

No comments:

Post a Comment