Wednesday, June 29, 2011

"Oberon" - Stage I

These are some pictures of the first stage of a new commission piece for Dave Voisinet. He wants a 2 foot horned owl cast in bronze to adorn the top of a post on his fence. The piece is meant to be viewed from his faux Victorian solarium. My intent with this piece is to thematically reference Oberon, the King of the fairies, from Merovingian myth and Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream. His name is also spelled "Auberon" which I thought would fit thematically with the avian nature of the piece. My use of this reference with an owl comes I think from the association of owls with the night as well as dreams and portents. Owls in many aboriginal cultures are the heralds of visions and change. Much as Oberon rules the passions and dreams of those who fall into his perview. I have started with a basic ecorchet and I will gradually add muscle, flesh and feathers. As always when I start a new project I'm full of butterflies...can I do it? I know I will but there is always that slight nagging fear you might fail this time...
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.7

No comments:

Post a Comment